Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Oh, this London town…

…was like The South of Tennessee Williams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_Williams) today:

muggy and grey…that stifling heat, that promise of rain which is late in delivery and disappointingly short and dry upon arrival; which leaves sins and streets unwashed.

I felt like a character from A Streetcar Named Desire or The Night of the Iguana. Like Blanche DuBois or Maxine Faulk. Having seen both plays (the former on film, the latter on stage), I think I’d like to play Maxine for now (am too young for Blanche). She, unsuccessfully, hides behind laughter, flirtation, sex and bottle. She has a nice hotel, hot weather, gorgeous young lover – steps up to a good life for most but down to a pool of quick sand for her. My steps are different but I understand her position. And that’s why, and especially if it meant sharing the stage with Woody Harrelson (who played Rev T Lawrence Shannon in the West End production I saw in December last year), I would definitely take up this role!

Alas (or 'luckily' depending on your stance), London ain’t no Southern town…rain did come: it was short but wet enough, followed by brilliant sun shine.

No comments: