Monday, August 21, 2006

Dating follow-up

For those of you who read my views about speed dating, don’t get excited, I haven’t yet changed them (but perhaps I should!). The follow up is not about a date from that event.

About 10 days ago I met someone through ‘natural ways’…started talking at a bar, got on really well and all that, exchanged numbers, texted each other a few times and spoke on the phone on Friday arranging tentatively to meet up tonight, his only night off these days.

Come 6pm, I’d finished my work for the day but he still hadn’t called. So, I called, to give him a piece of my mind. Series of supposed excuses about how he’d worked a 16 hour shift the night before, how tired he was, he had to wait for a new flat mate to come that night blah blah blah. Who is that busy to not find a few seconds to at least send a text?! I can’t believe any of it. He called back later in the evening begging forgiveness. I did give him a hard time of course. But why?

Why? Because, to be honest, I liked him. I am not having a self-loathing trip like ‘oh dear, I am not worthy, he doesn’t like me’. I’ve gone over that stage in my life. But I do feel like a small child whose new toy has been taken away before she got bored with it.

So, maybe, I deserve this. Maybe people only treat you the way you feel about them: like a toy in this case. A toy that they get bored before you do!

What gets me is the lack of honesty. Why can’t people say they don’t want to see you again? Why can’t they just not pick up the phone when you call or not reply to your text? Why can’t they just not call back when they say they will? So that you at least know that they are, for sure, not interested. Why bother give me all that story.

I am angry with him for not respecting me enough even to ignore me. I am angry with myself for investing energy and time in the possibility of meeting up tonight – I had to pass on one arrangement and cancel another! How weak am I? Why do I need human toys so much?

I called a friend who simply said ‘forget him’. I will. Of course, I will. People who don’t want to spend time on you are not worth wasting your time on. I know that. But this lack of honesty, this lack of courage, this lack of balls even by men who are fully endowed is disappointing me. It is making me feel despair about the (possibly eternal) state of humanity. Why am I so bloody transparent? Why am I so honest? Why, when the world functions in implied words and actions rather than explicit showing of cards, do I waste my energy trying to stand up and remain honest? When am I going to grow up and stop this stupid belief that honesty isn’t that difficult?

Any answers? No? Don’t worry. I feel better for writing it already. I just hope my Dad is not reading this!

6 comments:

John Enright said...

Perhaps you are proficient at honesty, but other people are inept at it, so they resort to its opposite.

zeo said...

Thank you John. I am sure I overstate my honesty :)

"another Anglo Mediterranean", I am afraid your theory is doomed...He is Brazilian! Ability to say no is universal :) Got another text from him today, God knows why?!

Anonymous said...

Evet okuyorum ne yazarsan.Cok onemli degil hayat basit bir hadise cok ugrasma buda gecer.

I dodge said...

Maybe we should all return to the world of arranged marriages!

zeo said...

Okudugunu bilmiyordum ama umuyordum. Commentini alinca ne kadar sevindigimi anlatamam...hem comment yazmis olmana hem de commentinin guzelligine! Bundan iyi 'baba nasihati' olmaz. Cok tesekkurler :)

zeo said...

i dodge..."freedom" is the most important thing. Even if it leads us down as well as up...But, hey, one can't rule anything out...:)