Sunday, August 13, 2006

There is no turkey in you, you are one hot chick!”

Was what one of the judges said to Meliz, the contestant at the ‘How do you solve a problem like Maria?’: the new talent show on BBC1 aiming to find the star of The Sound of Music planned for the West End.

Meliz is 23, studied music and is from a Turkish-Cypriot family (http://www.bbc.co.uk/maria/marias/meliz.shtml): The first from the community to make to a prime time show for her talent. I emphasise ‘talent’ since not only she seems to have heaps of it but also Sezer who was in Big Brother earlier this year and Kemal who was in last year are not in the same league.

Before the show, I thought it was my duty as a Turk-Brit to vote for her. As the show started, I hesitated between being fair and voting for the best and being loyal to my community in its largest definition. But once she started singing, there was no hesitation. She was absolutely amazing. She is not only extremely beautiful but also really humble and sweet. Her reaction upon hearing that she was through was the loveliest response: just a huge smile and squeezed shut eyes; none of the extravert reactions of some of the others. Although they announced her as ‘sexy Maria’, she showed that she is also humble and sweet like Maria should be.

And what a choice of song it was! Son of a Preacher Man – sung by so many strong vocals, not least Dusty Springfield and Aretha Franklin. Andrew Lloyd Webber said it best: “You out Dusty'd Dusty Springfield," adding, "You acted the song brilliantly."

On the website of the show, she says Rizzo from Grease (played by Stockhard Channing) is one of her favourite characters because she is gutsy. She is probably my the favourite character in fact. Grease was the first film I saw in a cinema when I was about 10. I watched the film countless times since and like her more and more every time because she knows who she is even though she doesn’t fit in with the norm. Meliz would be brilliant as Rizzo. So I finish by writing the lyrics of her best song of the film ‘There are worse things I could do’ as this is the song for all independent women. Oh, and of course, I wish Meliz all the best. Even if they don’t choose you as Maria, dear Meliz, you certainly are a STAR!

There are worse things I could do,
Than go with a boy or two.
Even though the neighborhood thinks I'm trashy,
And no good,
I suppose it could be true,
But there are worse things I could do.

I could flirt with all the guys,
Smile at them and bat my eyes.
Press against them when we dance,
Make them think they stand a chance,
Then refuse to see it through.
That's a thing I'd never do.

I could stay home every night,
Wait around for Mr. Right.
Take cold showers every day,
And throw my life away,
On a dream that won't come true.

I could hurt someone like me,
Out of spite or jealousy.
I don’t steal and I don’t lie,
But I can feel and I can cry.
A fact I'll bet you never knew.
But to cry in front of you,
That's the worse thing I could do

1 comment:

zeo said...

:))) I thinks I wanted to be Rizzo! I hear BBC is selling the rights to this format to US and they'll do it for Grease - but probably for the Sandra character...wet fish I always thought...Vote for me if they get an opening for Rizzo! :) Hope you are well.